THROWBACK THURSDAYS: THE JORDAN XVI'S!!

Thursday, September 6, 2012





I remember it like it was yesterday. Some kicks just have that effect on you. The Jordan 16's did just that. The magazine ad was in VIBE magazine (which was HUGE at the time...literally), and I couldn't wait for these to drop. It was the return of the gel sole, which hadn't been seen since the Jordan 11's. This was also the first pair of Jordans that were NOT designed by Nike visionary Tinker Hatfield, since the Jordan II's. 
When Tinker got his promotion, Nike designer Wilson Smith was given the ultimate task, and came through with flying colors. The 16's featured Patent Leather on the toe box, with triangle-shaped ventilation systems on the inner and outer side panels. The Air Unit was visible around the heel of the sneakers. What made these kicks so special was the removable Gaiter, or "harness" that covered the shoe was removable. It gave the illusion of two pairs in one. The harness was just for show, like part of a warm-up suit for NBA players. If you were playing basketball, however, the harness had to be removed for comfort. 
I loved the way these kicks felt and looked on my feet. I got these in three colorways: the OG Black and Red, Navy/White, and the Limited Edition Cherrywoods. In fact, I still have all three ORIGINALS. I'm glad I didn't sleep on these. The XVI's were retro'd in 2008, and were part of the "Defining Moments" Package. I would love to see them retro again, especially the Cherrywood. We know RCH89 would be the first to cop his favorite pair! Just send the word! Cali "O" #Throwbacks #Sweet16s

No comments:

Best Blogger TipsComment here

Drop A Comment

Next previous home
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...